Sunday, April 12, 2009

My first stab at listing some mentors/exemplars.

Well I promised myself I would start the process of finding some mentors or exemplars I could use to guide my ideas of what I wanted my photography to be, where I wanted it to go, etc. Well I started in a pretty simple place - a book. I went to my shelf and picked out a nice little book - American Photographs 1900/2000 by James Danzinger, published by Assouline. The I just started at the front and went through every photo, when I came to one I liked (using my definition of "I wish I took that"), I checked on line to see if this was a one off or if the photographer really produced a body of work that grabbed me.

So in the end I came up with this list - its not exhaustive, but its a start (so in no particular order):

Robert Capa

William Klein

Edward Weston

Danny Lyon

Lewis W Hine

Joel Meyerowitz

Alfred Stieglitz

Berenice Abbott

Dorothea Lange

Richard Avedon

Charles Moore


Donna Ferrato

Andrew Bush

No comments: